Natalie & Rhiannon
Shanny, and I would like to introduce our friends, a very special couple:
Natalie and Rhiannon. They married on the 1st of December 2016, at a beautiful venue called the Stones of Yarra in the Yarra Valley. We were given the honour of capturing this incredibly special day. Just like any other wedding they had a ceremony in which they declared their love and commitment to each other in front of their loved ones. But with one very important factor missing – their marriage isn’t recognised by the Australian Government as a legal marriage. WTF!!!! Some people may think that having a ceremony is enough for same-sex couples. That as long as WTF!!!! Some people may think that having a ceremony is enough for same-sex couples. That as long as same-sex couples considered themselves married then why should the government’s opinion matter? Although this is a well-meaning sentiment this is not what true equality is. Why should people like Natalie and Rhiannon be deprived of basic human rights just because of something as arbitrary as loving a person who happens to be the same sex as them? Same-sex couples are deprived of the right to multiple relationship entitlements. Why? Because they are denied the right to a marriage certificate – a certificate that would help them change their last name to their partners, a certificate that would help them get approval on a home loan, a certificate that helps quickly prove the nature of their relationship in an emergency situation. Why is this equality denied to Australians when 25 other countries have marriage equality? Australia claims to be a forward-thinking country but countries such as Canada have had marriage equality for almost 12 years now. Even the USA, a country who is known to be divided on their political and social issues, has legalised same-sex marriage. Get it together Australia. As of 2016, 72% of Australians support same-sex marriage. The majority of the other 28% must be the prejudiced people sitting in parliament thinking they have the right to block marriage equality. Thinking they have the right to mess up the love lives of thousands of people just because they think it’s wrong. This is classic oppression in a country that preaches equality. Two consenting adults should have the freedom to love and be loved without legal repercussions. Natalie and Rhiannon are just two humans who fell in love, two gals that should have their love and commitment recognised by the Australian Government. Here at Jessie Dains we support LGBT marriage. Love is a big deal, and love never changes no Love is a big deal, and love never changes nom atter what race, colour, or religion you are. For a lot of people getting married is a symbol of forever, and no one should be able to take that away from them.